This Vegan Fettuccine with Zucchini is a quick, easy, and delicious way to use up all of those extra zucchini you’ve got hanging around during those late summer months. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Because zucchini plants are such prolific producers, you can quickly acquire more than you know what to do with. So many recipes may only utilize 1 or 2 at a time. This barely makes a dent in your zucchini stockpile. This Vegan Fettuccine with Zucchini is one of my favorite ways to use zucchini because it uses a full pound. This is about 5 medium sized zucchini or 2-3 large zucchini.
Zucchini is quite the watery vegetable and that doesn’t always translate well to to adding it to certain dishes successfully. Here however, the water content is a plus because it cooks down until tender and melds with the other ingredients to create your pasta sauce. Then, your pasta soaks up all that flavorful sauce.
Use this recipe as a base and add in other ingredients to your liking: beans, other vegetables, other herbs & seasonings, proteins, extra cheese, the possibilities are endless.
Can I use other types of pasta for this dish?
Absolutely! Long, round pasta like fettuccine, spaghetti, angel hair are the ideal choices for this dish because each strand of pasta is coated evenly by the light sauce, but you really could swap the fettuccine out for any pasta you have on hand.
Can I use other types of squash besides Zucchini?
Yes, most varieties of summer squashes would work great here.
Vegan Fettuccine with Zucchini
- 1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 C white wine
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 C parsley, chopped
- 1/2 C vegan parmesan
- 1 lb fettuccine
- Start heating a large pot of water for your pasta, add 1 Tbsp salt.
- While your pasta water is heating, add your olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add in onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes, until edges of garlic start to turn golden.
- Add in zucchini and sprinkle with salt. Add sprigs of thyme and pour in your wine. Cover and let simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While your your sauce is simmering, cook your fettuccine to al dente and drain. Reserve 1 cup of your pasta water.
- Add in half of your chopped parsley to your sauce. Next, gently add in your fettuccine and use tongs to evenly coat fettuccine in sauce. If your pasta seems on the dry side, add in a little pasta water at a time to loosen up your sauce until you have the right consistency.
- Finish by adding your parmesan cheese and the remainder of your parsley as garnish.