If you stumbled upon this looking for a healthy vegan recipe, you should probably back out now because this recipe is all about cheesy, potatoey, indulgence.
As a kid, I remember someone bringing Cheesy Potatoes to almost every occasion. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Weddings, Funerals, Potlucks, really any get together, Cheesy Potatoes were there.
They were one of my absolute favorite comfort foods growing up, so this is a recipe that I have been wanting to create a vegan version of for a long time, and it’s finally here!
These Cheesy Potatoes are:
The Ultimate Crowd Pleaser.
What Potato Lovers’ Dreams are made of.
Comfort Food At It’s Finest.
You’ll need to make your own vegan condensed cream of chicken soup for this recipe which I’ve linked for you here: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
If you make the cream of chicken soup ahead of time, which should only take about 10-15 minutes, this recipe is just a matter of throwing everything else together and popping it in the oven.
Either way, it’s 100% worth it!
Vegan Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 2 32 Oz Packages Cubed or Shredded Frozen Hash Browns 64 oz in total
- 1 Cup Onion, Finely Diced
- 2.5 Cup Vegan Cream of Chicken Soup (Recipe Linked in Blog Post)
- 2 Cup Vegan Sour Cream Tofutti and Kite Hill work great
- 1 (4 oz) Stick Vegan Butter (1/2 C), Melted Earth Balance, Country Crock Plant Butter
- 1-1.5 Tsp Salt Depending on the brand of vegan butter & cheese you use may have a higher or lower salt levels, so adjust salt to taste!
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Cups Shredded Vegan Cheese I use Follow Your Heart or Daiya Cutting Board Shreds.
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Parsley or Green Onions to Garnish (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a large casserole dish (14.5in x 8.75in), add thawed hash browns. Next add in onion, condensed soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and melted butter. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Add in 2 Cups of your shredded cheese and stir to combine. Cover pan well with aluminum foil.
- Bake with foil on for 1 hour. Then, remove foil, stir well once, and add remaining 2 C of cheese on top. Continue to bake uncovered for another 45-50 mins until browned, bubbly, and cooked through.
- After removing from the oven, top with your chopped parsley or green onions, if using.
- Serve and Enjoy!