Almondigas is a traditional Filipino soup dish containing meatballs and noodles. It’s an easy, delicious, and most comforting soup and one of my personal favorites! Lovely for a rainy day or any day really.
I realized that I didn’t know of any vegan version of Almondigas in existence. What a tragedy! I felt that this situation needed remedied immediately, so I went to work to create this Vegan Almondigas recipe for you guys. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 (12-14oz) Block Tofu, Extra Firm
- 3 Green Onions, Sliced (reserve some for garnishing)
- 1 Vegan “Egg” (Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 3-4 Tbsp Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 8 C Vegan “Chicken” Broth
- 1-2 Tbsp Vegan Fish Sauce
- 3-4 oz Misua Noodles (rice vermicelli or other very thin noodle is also fine)
- Drain and press tofu very thoroughly. You want as much water squeezed out as possible to ensure your meatballs stay together. Once tofu is ready, crumble it into a large bowl with 3/4 of the green onions, vegan egg, and flour. Season with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together until everything is combined, then form into walnut sized balls. Set aside.
- Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add tofu meatballs and fry 3-5 minutes, flipping frequently, to get all sides evenly golden brown. Turn heat to low and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add broth and vegan fish sauce, bring to a boil. Once broth is boiling, add in noodles and cook until al dente.
- Taste for any additional seasoning, and serve. Garnish with reserved green onions. If you like, you can add all the meatballs into the soup or ladle soup into bowls and place meatballs in on top, separately. I go the latter route because I like the meatballs to maintain a slight crunch.