Tempeh boasts of extensive health benefits. It’s nutrient dense, full of protein, reduces cholesterol and inflammation, improves gut health, improves bone health, the list goes on.
However, I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t always a fan of the taste or texture of tempeh. I didn’t really like to eat it. That is, until I discovered the wonderful world of tempeh bacon.
Smoky, savory, and just a touch sweet. Super easy to make.
This tempeh bacon is absolutely phenomenal in a BLT, but also versatile enough to add deliciousness to just about anything.
Stuff it into a wrap.
Add it to your burger.
Crumble it onto a salad.
Top your pizza with it.
Mix it into your tofu scramble.
Have it as a side, just by itself.
I’m telling you, this is the tempeh that will convert you from a tempeh nay-sayer to a tempeh enthusiast.
It worked for me!
- 8 oz Tempeh
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2-3 T Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke (hickory)
- 1/2 C Vegan Beef Broth (can sub veg broth)
- 1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt (depends how salty of broth you’re using)
- 2 Tbsp Agave or Pure Maple Syrup
- Sliced Tomato
- Toasted Bread
- Vegan Mayo
- Sliced Avocado (optional but highly recommend)
- Preheat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, in a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, 1 Tbsp canola oil, liquid smoke, broth, salt, and maple syrup.
- Slice tempeh into thin pieces, about 1/8 inch thick. Add 1-2 Tbsp canola oil to preheated skillet. Place tempeh slices in a single layer in the skillet. Let tempeh fry about 1 minute.
- Add all of your broth mixture into the skillet, making sure it coats all of your tempeh. Let simmer, flipping the tempeh slice occasionally, until all of the liquid is absorbed and tempeh gets brown and crispy. (About 5-7 minutes).
- Assemble BLT’s with 6-8 slices of the tempeh bacon, vegan mayo, tomato, lettuce, and toasted bread.
- Serve and enjoy!