Stuffed shells – indulgent, rich, and cheesy, are one of the best comfort foods ever. Certainly never something that you have to give up in order to eat vegan. This version is classic and exceptionally delicious. It is simple and straightforward enough to be a weeknight dish. Additionally, it would make a great crowd-pleasing option to serve at any potluck, holiday, or similar event.
(Makes 4-6 servings)
Tofu Ricotta Cheese (Can be made 1-2 days ahead, if desired)
- 1/4 C Soaked Raw Cashews (can use pine nuts, raw sunflower seeds, raw almonds)
- 1 (14 oz) Block of Tofu
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 C Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 Tbsp White Miso Paste
- 1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt (to taste)
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Tofu Ricotta From Above (About 2 Cups)
- 8 oz Vegan Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded (I recommend Follow Your Heart)
- 1/3 C Parlsey, Chopped
- 3-5 Tbsp Vegan Parmesan Cheese (more to taste)
- Additional Salt & Pepper, (to taste)
- 12 oz Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 3-4 C Marinara Sauce (or your choice of pasta sauce, homemade is phenomenal, but store bought will work just fine as well!)
- Vegan Parmesan (for topping)
- Chopped Parsley (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Make Tofu Ricotta Cheese. Start by putting cashews in a food processor, and process until they look like a paste. Drain water off of tofu, and crumble it into the food processor. Pulse a couple times. Add in garlic, salt, nutmeg, miso paste, and lemon juice. Process this mixture until everything is combined and it looks like soft ricotta cheese (about 30 seconds). Dump mixture into a medium bowl and stir in lemon zest, nutritional yeast, and olive oil. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil your jumbo pasta shells until Al Dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Make Pasta Filling. Take 1 1/2 Cups of your mozzarella cheese, vegan parmesan, parsley, and add it to your bowl of tofu ricotta. Sprinkle additional salt and pepper, if using, and mix everything together until well incorporated. (taste mixture to see if it’s well seasoned and adjust if needed)
- Take 1 1/2 C of desired pasta sauce and spread it, in an even layer, on the bottom of a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Stuff each of your jumbo shells with about 1-1.5 Tbsp of filling, and layer them side by side in the pan. You should end up using about 25 shells and all of the filling to fill the pan.
- Top the shells with the rest of your sauce. Sprinkle remainder of mozzarella cheese on top of that. Add additional parmesan as well, if desired.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30-35 mins, until hot & bubbly. Take foil off & bake 5 more minutes. (can also broil top for 5 mins for browner cheese if using a broiler safe dish)
- When done, remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes. Top with chopped parsley.