Before my vegan days, we used to frequent this little family-owned restaurant called Golden Bowl. They had THE BEST Orange Chicken. It is one dish whose flavors I have been missing majorly for a long time, and hadn’t figured out a successful vegan version that really hit the nail on the head for me…UNTIL NOW! This Orange Tofu is everything wonderful I remember about Orange Chicken. The battered & fried tofu is crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and glazed in the perfectly sticky-sweet & tangy orange sauce. Happiness is this right here.
(For The Tofu)
- 2 Blocks of Extra-Firm Tofu – 24 oz (Drain & Press 20 mins)
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 3/4 C Cornstarch
- 2 1/4 C Flour
- 1 Vegan “Egg” (Ener-g Egg Replacer)
- 16 oz Water
- 2 T Canola Oil
- 4.5 C Canola Oil (for frying)
- Sliced Green Onion (for garnish)
- Toasted Sesame Seeds (for garnish, optional)
(For Orange Sauce)
- 1 T Canola Oil
- 1/4-1/2 Tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 T Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger, Minced
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C Orange Juice
- 1/4 C White Vinegar
- 2 T Soy Sauce
- 2 T Water + 2 T Cornstarch (make corntarch slurry)
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- While your tofu is pressing, get all of your other ingredients prepped and measured out.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, & white pepper. In a separate bowl, add the 16 oz water, 2 T canola oil, and “egg”. Pour this mixture into your bowl with the flour mixture. Whisk gently, until combined.
- Dice Tofu into 3/4 in chunks, and stir gently into your batter. Be careful not to break up the tofu. Put in fridge to chill 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a saucepan to 360°F. Take several pieces of battered tofu chunks at a time, shake off excess batter, drop into hot oil. Fry for 4-5 minutes, or until crunchy and light brown. Drain on paper towel-lined bowl or plate. Once all tofu has been fried, set aside.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add canola oil. Once warm, add garlic and ginger. Saute 30 seconds. Add red chili flakes and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add to the pan sugar, brown sugar, orange juice, white vinegar, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add soy sauce.
- Now, add cornstarch slurry, slowly, while stirring. Let simmer until orange sauce has reached the same consistency as maple syrup.
- Turn heat to low. Add fried tofu to pan & toss, until all the tofu is glazed in the orange sauce. Add Sesame Oil and stir in.
- Serve with jasmine rice. Top with sliced green onions & sesame seeds, if desired.